St Andrew's Square, Saltmarket, Glasgow
The recreation of a Georgian City Square.
The recreation of a Georgian Square in association with new town houses to three sides; surrounding a Grade A Listed Church, dating from 1756, that had been converted into a performing arts venue following its refurbishment. The design features new street trees within a strong applied geometry on the floorscape, carefully blending a mix of man-made and natural stone paving materials to make best use of the available budget. The detailing was influenced both by existing retained elements such as cast metal railings and new entry door locations to the surrounding townhouses. Designed primarily as a pedestrian zone, the square necessarily has to accommodate servicing and maintenance arrangements as unobtrusively as possible without affecting the prevailing ambience.