East India Harbour, Greenock, Inverclyde
The reclamation of a large derelict harbour area in advance of the Tall Ships Race 1999.
This project required the regeneration of a large area of Greenock’s waterfront, in the vicinity of the Listed former Customs House; which incorporated a full harbour basin and two dry docks, one a stone stepped graving dock dating from 1812 and a Scheduled Ancient Monument. Secured through a successful design competition entry, HLA’s proposed solution involved comprehensive but simple repaving to unify the site, using a careful combination of new and salvaged natural stone material, together with high quality man-made products. Simple, bespoke detailing was used throughout, including the design of a range of street furniture, railings and fittings together with a contemporary lighting installation to reflect the maritime setting.
Following the success of 1999, the harbour was used again for the Tall Ships Race in 2012 and the project has acted as a catalyst for further regeneration of the site since its completion.
Inverclyde Council Regeneration Award Winner 1999.